10.28.2008

forgetting my sweater

The sun is still bright but the air is chilled. The days are shrinking into early dusk while I think of clove cigarettes and cross-country drives, horns sounding so clear and strong while miles disappear beneath the tires.

It was cold inside the office. They'd kept the air conditioning on, because in Texas you can't be sure if it's really going to cool off or if the weather is just playing games. It was cold enough inside that a jacket or sweater would have been more than appropriate, but I kept leaving it in the house in my groggy morning ritual of stumbling out to the car hardly functioning as human.

Thursday was no different. Stumble out from bed, do what is required to be at least marginally presentable, grope around for keys. Keys that are heavier than usual - they must be caught on something, struggle to free them from... my sweater. Tied to the keyring by the hood drawstring. What more could I want in life?

No comments: